The Supreme Court has dismissed an application by businessman Alfred Woyome, which sought to stop the seizure and valuation of his properties by the state.
The court presided by a sole judge, Justice Alfred Benin, described the application as one without merit hence his decision.
The ruling by the court paved way for the state to continue with the valuation of the properties of Mr. Woyome in its quest to retrieve monies he owes the state from a judgment debt wrongfully paid to him.
Alfred Woyome last week filed an application at the court to stop the government from continuing with moves to seize and value his properties. His application followed state officials storming one of his residences at Trasaco to value the property.
Meanwhile, the government has indicated that it will begin another round of valuation and seizure of other properties of Mr. Woyome, in a bid to get the rest of GHs47. 2 million left to be paid by him, out of the total sum of Ghc51 million.
A Deputy Attorney General, Godfred Dame, who spoke to the media after today’s [Friday] proceedings, said the state is determined to recover the money from Woyome, and will not be deterred by efforts by Woyome to impede the process.
“I can assure you that nothing will hinder the state in its efforts to recover the money. These are all ploys that will be swept away. No impediment, whatsoever that is placed in the way of the state by Mr. Woyome will prevent the state from recovering the money. Surely the day of reckoning will come,” he said.
Background to saga
Mr. Woyome was paid the GHc 51 million after claiming he helped Ghana raise funds to construct stadia for the hosting of the 2008 African Cup of Nations.
However, an Auditor General’s report released in 2010, held that the amount was paid illegally to him.
Subsequently, the Supreme Court in 2014 ordered Mr. Woyome to pay back the money, after a former Attorney General, Martin Amidu, challenged the legality of the payments.
Following delays in retrieving the money, Supreme Court judges unanimously granted the Attorney-General clearance to execute the court’s judgment, ordering Mr. Woyome to refund the cash to the state.
There had been previous attempts to orally examine Mr. Woyome with Mr. Amidu himself, in 2016, filed an application at the Supreme Court seeking to examine Alfred Woyome, on how he was going to pay back the money, after the Attorney General’s office under the Mahama Administration, led by the former Minister for Justice, Marietta Brew Appiah-Oppong, discontinued a similar application.
In February 2017 however, Mr. Amdu withdrew his suit seeking an oral examination, explaining that the change of government and the assurance by the new Attorney General to retrieve all judgement debts wrongfully paid to individuals, had given him renewed confidence in the system.